Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sweet Peas



I could tell you that I tried not to buy these flowers at the farmers market this morning, but I would be flat out lying. I'm not an impulsive shopper, but the moment I saw them I knew I had to have them. (Is it really an impulse buy if the item only costs $1.50?)

I adore sweet peas. I like to think they are a part of my history. It began when I first moved away to college and my boss at the radio station gave me a set of sweet pea scented gifts from Bath & Body Works. That was 10 years ago and it's still the only bath scent I use. Maybe that seems cheesy, but you know how something just sort of becomes a part of you? Especially a scent. When you smell it a flood of memories comes rushing in. College, theatre, Honduras, and the first few months when Pete and I were dating. The first time I actually saw sweet peas (besides the picture on the front of the fragrance bottle) was my first week of student teaching. Pete special ordered a bouquet for me. They were beautiful, purple blossoms that brightened the room in the middle of winter. And now I often call Ella "Sweet Pea." So, you see, I do think sweet peas are a part of my history.

And they smell amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand. That is exactly how I feel about Peonies! Only scent I wear, flowers from my wedding, etc :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful. At the Farmer's Market here, they'd cost $7.50. I used to love buying flowers, but now, since they are so expensive in VT, I pick wild ones near our house for my bathroom vases. I love you sweet peas though :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thank you so much for sharing yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...