Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Recipe: French Silk Pie


Last week I was asked to bake a few things for our residency retreat over the weekend. I know that it's not usually the greatest idea to try out brand new recipes for such occasions, but I felt I'd be forgiven if something didn't turn out. Besides, when you're staying in a cabin in the woods surrounded by gorgeous trees and lakes, the snow is falling, you've got a glass of wine or a really good cup of coffee, doesn't everything just seem okay? Add that to the fact that there were six kids in the cabin all under the age of 2 1/2 and I'm pretty sure anyone would have eaten anything with a half-way sophisticated flavor.

So after a little searching, I narrowed my choices to two pies and a batch of fudge brownies. I had wanted to make biscotti, too, but I was already a little behind on class work, so I dropped that one. (Thanks to those of you who helped me come to that conclusion.) The first pie was a lovely, simple French silk that I found on allrecipes.com.

This recipe requires very few ingredients and not a lot of time. The only thing you'll have to know is that the filling needs to be chilled for a while before serving it, so plan ahead. It's completely up to you whether you want to buy a crust or make one. If you decide to make one, my mom's no-fail pie crust works beautifully.


1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup white sugar
2 (1 oz) squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted & cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 prepared 8 inch pastry shell


Cream butter in a mixing bowl. Gradually beat in the sugar with an electric mixer until light colored and well blended. Stir in the thoroughly cooled chocolate and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating five minutes on medium speed after each addition. (The filling may not set well if you rush this.) Spoon the chocolate filling into a cooled, baked pie shell. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving.

I also recommend covering the top in fresh or store bought whipped cream and sprinkling bits of chocolate across the top. You can't see that in my picture because I actually made the pie four days before serving it. And guess what? It still tasted amazing. (Mind you I only had one bite. I'm just starting phase two of this round of P90X and I'm trying to be really good.) I'm thankful for cold weather in such a situation because I never once had to put it in a refrigerator. It stayed perfectly cool in the back of the Jeep. So if you need to bake something ahead of time, this is the one to pick. I thought the brownies would fare better. I was wrong. They were dry. Blah.

Let me know if you end up trying this fairly simple recipe. It's delish!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thank you so much for sharing yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...