Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sophia's Fancy Birthday Cupcakes

On Friday my friend's little girl, Sophia, celebrated her 7th birthday with a sleep-over party and invited five of her friends to join her. After a short consultation at a table in the kids' section of the library up the hill, we decided that "my client" wanted something fancy. Maybe some sprinkles, purple frosting, and some kind of jewelry on top. Our meeting ended with a smile and the promise to surprise her with a plate of fun, girlie cupcakes the next morning. And off I went in search of the perfect jewelry pieces.

Ella and I looked at Target before remembering the Claire's store at the mall. It didn't take us long to find a set of inexpensive rings and bracelets in exactly the color palate I had imagined.


Once we returned home, we whipped up a batch of chocolate cupcakes with real raspberries. My helper was on the lookout so we'd know right when they were finished baking.

Miss Ella was ready the moment the cupcakes were done.


After Ella was tucked in bed for the night, I mixed up a bowl of black raspberry frosting (check here for the recipe) and piped it on. Then I sprinkled the top and finished by placing one ring on each cake. I sent the plastic bracelets along as well as a sparkly, white candle for Sophia. Voila! Fancy little cupcakes with cute jewelry to wear through the rest of the party!



In other news: I have to let it be known that today is the last day I will be baking until October 1. (We'll be out of town the next two days.) This is going to be very hard for me, but I think I will be better with following through with it if I actually announce it to others. The reason is that I'm starting a new round of P90X (the awesome, intense fitness & nutrition program that Pete & I have been doing for 3 1/2 years.) It's just way too hard for me to bake while I'm trying to be super disciplined with my nutrition. However, I do have recipes and photos ready to post of things I've made throughout August. If you have a birthday or a baby in the month of September, I'm going to have to give you a big ol' I.O.U. and make it in October.

Do you realize how hard this is for me? I pulled out my sewing machine so I'll have another source of creativity. Perhaps I'll post pics of something sewn. For now, it just has to be the way it is. And that's that.

1 comment:

  1. The cupcakes are so cute, and I love how Ella's watching the oven while they bake. You will have to give me some baking tips when I come visit sometime. I can't believe how disciplined you are to do the P90X and not bake - wow!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thank you so much for sharing yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...